St. Peter’s began with five families in 1876, and for the first 17 years, services were held in private homes and public offices. In 1890, the bishop elevated St. Peter’s to a parish, which means it was a healthy, self sufficient congregation.
In 1893, on land donated by Dr. G. A. Foote, the first Church building was completed at its current location, the corner of College and Lamar streets. The original wood frame building was replaced in 1926 with a gothic style brick structure. A fire destroyed the Rectory (the house where the priest lived) in November 1959. In April the following year, the entire church was demolished by fire. Despite the best efforts of fire fighters and neighbors, all of the treasures accumulated over the prior 84 years were lost.
As the clean-up effort from the 1960 fire ensued, a remarkable discovery was made. The brass Tabernacle was found under the remains of the Altar, its door sealed from the intense heat. Parishioner Vic Gill spent the next year scraping and cleaning the Tabernacle. When he finally was able to open the door, an even more remarkable discovery was made. The Ciborium (the vessel that hold the consecrated bread) was intact the lace cloth and consecrated bread were still inside with no visible signs of damage. This tabernacle is still in use and stands as the only physical connection between the current building and the original building.
The first services after the fire were held in a funeral home. Soon after the fire, a five bedroom home located at College and Foote was purchased from the Wilcox family and served as the Church and Parish Hall. It was later named St. Mark’s House. The new church building, located at the same corner, of College and Lamar streets, was dedicated in 1961, and included a custom pipe organ from Germany, still in use.
The large portion of the construction costs for the new sanctuary was raised by the fruitcake ministry. Church members made thousands of fruitcakes and sold them around the world. In 1964 alone, St. Peter’s baked, packaged and sold more than 6,000 fruitcakes.
The parishioners of St. Peter’s have proven that they can positively respond to challenges and adversity. When St. Mark’s House was destroyed by fire in 1970, Janet Siebens, for whom the current parish hall is named, is famous for saying, “St. Peter’s is used to this. We will just have to make more fruitcakes.”
For over 125 years, St. Peter’s has been proclaiming the love of Christ in word and action here in Collin County. Come join us as we continue to build St. Peter's legacy.